Bah humbug, it’s summer. Contrary to popular sentiment, the summer months are my least favorite of the year. How about let’s start raining again?! Hah.
Lucky for me, having summer as my least favorite season means that my least favorite season ain’t all that bad at all. Summer means plentiful patios, ice cream cones, nature walks and lazy lounging in the sun. It’s just all the damn people take up all the damn space and I get schweaty balls so move out of my way because I’m dehydrated and damp. (*Of course this is an exaggeration of my feelings. What I’m saying is that I favor rainy sidewalks to sunny crowds. I get cranky in the heat. Sorry!)
That being said, the Spring months were a tumultuous time for my personal life and grief has burrowed a home in my heart. Grief has gathered its rations, fashioned its twiggy sleeping nook and is ready to hibernate while the sun is at its peak. I’m tempted to follow suit. I miss those that I’ve lost and I want to pay my respects and honor them. There are no words from this humble writer that can express the gratitude, love, respect, wish, warmth and prayer that I have for those that have passed. So, I will leave it at that and tell you that I’ve decided not to give in (or at least try) to the hibernation and make a list of all the fun things to do in Vancouver this summer. Vancouver is amazing in the summer and I am so blessed that this is my least favorite season.
Things to do in Vancouver this Summer
- Go camping.
- Explore Stanley Park. ✓
- Mega long bike ride.
- Do the Grouse Grind.
- Road trip. ✓
- Go to Portland.
- BBQs at the park.
- Play beach volleyball.
- Fly home for a weekend. (Nelson instead!) ✓
- Submit to three writing contests.
- Do this memoir writing workshop. ✓
- Go to Squamish or Whistler or both.
- Eat at the Food Truck Festival.
- Read at the beach. (Note to self :: find shade!)
- Go to Wreck Beach.
- Go on a photo walk.
- Have a kickass birthday in August!
- Eat Earnest Ice Cream like all the time. ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
- Start a workout regimen. (Haha yeah, okay.) ✓
- Start journaling again.
- Go on dates. ✓ ✓ ✓
- Make art for this Boobies + Wieners show.
- Write for this Boobs call for submissions.
- Avoid most festivals, except when invited by cool folks. ✓
- Go to arts events.
- Visit Robert’s Creek on the Sunshine Coast.
- Eat the new Cartem’s Donuterie on Main Street. ✓
- Read books!
Want to join me on any of these fun things to do in Vancouver this summer? Post a comment or send me a message!